Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I'm Cured (maybe!)

So, yesterday they let me out of prison (the U of U hospital) after 6 very long drug hazed days of horrible pain and horrible roommates. They hope that the bowel issues have been fixed. I have a 5 inch long incision vertically from above my belly button down to there. They stapled it shut so now I can tell people I had my stomach stapled! But some of the nurses were totally awesome and so helpful to me. They made sure that I ate, was comfortable, and at ease after some very embarassing moments while I slept or was just sitting up--apparaently a common thing. Depends aren't that bad! Being cathed isn't that bad either--just ask for drugs and lidocaine and you should do fine!
I had one great roommate out of a total of five. The others were very loud, turned the TV up really loud, turned on all the lights, had visitors at odd hours of the night and so I never really got any sleep. ONe nurse finally told the others to let me have the room to myself for one night which I was extremely grateful for. The docs wanted to keep me for several more days but I had had it at that point because the nurses towards the end would not let me have pain meds every three hours as ordered and gave them to me every 8 hours. They stopped my PCA pump cold turkey which was a mistake since I had been told to wean off it since I had been getting fentanyl every ten minutes for two days. I was in tears the last day I was there and finally told the surgery PA I wanted to go home and she said it would be better so I could control the environment I was in. One nurse did tell me she went to Viewmont and we had a discussion about the people that we know. So there were some good and bad experiences,I choose to try to focus on the good ones............. but the real reason I went home is because they brought up my roommate who had three STDs that had been ignored for so long she ended up having major abdominal surgery and lost the baby she was carrying. They talked to her two feet away from me and told her everything that she had and the cultures that had grown out, she was moaning the whole time and I was just like--I am done, not sharing a bathroom ( i know you can't catch an STD from the toilet, but still!!!!!)so I went home to the quietness of my own house with my parents to lovingly care for me and to be able to watch my medications and get them when I need them (don't worry, not gonna get hooked!) But dialudid has been my best friend for the last two days :0)

No comments: